Sunday, December 5, 2010

New Favorite Hymn

Today while singing in church, I realized the song we were singing has become my new favorite hymn. It's always tough for me to say exactly which is my favorite. Always tops on my list have been "I Stand All Amazed", "Because I Have Been Given Much", "I Know that My Redeemer Lives", "The Spirit of God", "How Firm a Foundation" and a couple others. I remember singing an absolutely beautiful arrangement of this new favorite hymn when I was in Tallahassee 1st ward choir, and I just loved it. But never have I given it the title of "favorite hymn" until today. It's exactly how I feel. The title alone fills my heart with love and gratitude for my Savior:

Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee

Lyrics:

Jesus, the very thought of thee
with sweetness fills my breast;
but sweeter far thy face to see
and in thy presence rest.

Nor voice can sing, nor heart can frame
Nor can the memory find
A sweeter sound than thy blest name
O Savior of mankind.

O hope of every contrite heart,
O joy of all the meek,
to those who fall, how kind thou art!
How good to those who seek!

Jesus, our only joy be thou,
As thou our prize wilt be;
Jesus, be thou our glory now,
and through eternity.

No comments: