I am currently (ok, well, obviously not
exactly "currently") working on organizing our office, and I just found a book I sent to Stace on his first Christmas as a full-time missionary. It is a personalized book of speeches given by General Authorities and the like I created on the BYU speeches Web site. I remember I was so excited to send it to him. I titled it
Eternal Encouragement. I just reread the note I inserted in the inside front cover. I told him that I had included two talks from the general authority who'd given my
favorite conference talk at the previous General Conference, as well as 13 other great talks. One of those 13 talks is entiled "
Goals" by Elder J. Thomas Fyans. I was just flipping through the book and I stopped at one of the lines that Elder Sirmans had put a star next to in Elder Fyans' talk:
"Living the gospel is somewhat like combing your hair-- no matter how well we did it yesterday-- we have to repeat it today." I really like this quote. It doesn't matter so much if I read my scriptures or said my prayers yesterday, or if I plan on doing those things tomorrow (although it still much better than not doing them at all)...how am I doing today?
How does my hair look today? Yesterday I got to thinking...and realized that perhaps one of my most favorite things in the world is the feeling in my heart when I say my prayers in the morning. There is something so refreshing and renewing about the hope of a new day, the hope that I can be better today than I was yesterday, and the hope that I can try to do those things my Father in Heaven would have me do-- today. I just love it.
3 comments:
This was a beautiful post! And I really liked the qoute...so true!
Kim- You are always so uplifting. Gurl, you amaze me. Hope Gainesville appreciates having you there! (It is Gainesville, no?)
needed this...thanks!
Post a Comment