Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Stace's Surprise Graduation/ Congrats-on-Getting-Into-PhD-School Party!

I told more lies than I ever thought possible to pull this thing off, but with the the help of lots of family and friends who were willing to lie for the cause, I did it!!! He was totally surprised! We held the partay at Stace's parents' house and celebrated with Stace's extended family, my family and a few of Stace's close friends & their families.

The cakes!

The UF cake is a red velvet cake (recipe tripled!) with cream cheese frosting. That jar in the middle was for people to guess the amount of pennies inside since Stace is getting his PhD in finan$e. Total count: 883! Winner guessed 888! Not bad!

The FSU cake is two layers of yellow cake (recipe doubled) and 1 layer of chocolate cake in the middle, with chocolate icing. Total amount of time spent baking/ frosting these cakes: 13 hours (now I know why cakes cost so much at the bakery!)

The party favors for the kiddos: piggy banks and graduation cap pens.
Good friend Mary Ann helped tremendously by letting me ice the cakes at her house and helping me frost!

We had Stace's favorite place cater! SONNY'S! He's been begging me to apply for the manager position available here in Gainesville...not happenin! I hate Sonny's!

My freshman roommate Katie Waeghe! She came all the way from Orlando. We love her!

Mary Ann and Ann...I love them so much:*(

Stace and I with our nieces (center: Caroline & Kate), their cousin and our good friends' (Emily and Gaylen Raines) daughter, Amelia, and my little Emma!

UF Cousin Crew! The newly made UF boys and their wives! Trent is starting dental school! And congrats to Amelia who just graduated with her masters in accounting from BYU! Awesome!

9 comments:

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

Congratulations Stace, and congratulations to Kim for pulling it off!

Brittany said...

Cute party! You guys are now transformed into gators....with Seminole blood of course. :) It will be fun to have you here!

Tice said...

Gurl, is there anything you can't do? :) Those cakes look deliciously fantastic. Sounds like it was a rockin' shindig.

natalie said...

Congrats you too! Kim you are positively perfect in every way.
Those cakes were dyno-mite!!!
June 6. My Birthday. I like chocolate cake, cream cheese frosting, and pink, k? :)

natalie said...

ps: does anyone have video footage of Karen doing her Tina Turner impression? If so, post it please!

Karen said...

Whew...looks like no one got a video of me that night!!! Sorry Natalie!!! Kim..what a great party. Hope you and amelia have a great time in Gainsville!

Kim said...

@ Tice: your comment made my day, but seriously...there is so much I can't do! Cook (working on this one, as you know!), sew, play piano, read music...I could go on & on, but for now I will just relish the fact that someone could even say something so nice about me:)
Natalie: I just lurve you...see comment above in response to your unbelievably kind one...but thank you:) I am way excited to make your birfday cake! Did you know my birfday is exactly a week before yours!? neat-o!
@ Karen: I am really sad that I missed out on your Tina Turner impression! ugh! I wish someone did have a video. You'll just have to recreate it for us:)

The Smith's Fridge Door said...

Awesome!! I love that you are going to be down there with Amelia and her husband! How fun!! Isn't it amazing how spread all across the US we all are from the Tallahassee Wards?!

Kim said...

@ Jayna: it is so fun! Thanks so much for your excitement for us, and know that the feeling is mutual-- it is so exciting that you and your husband get to go to LA for his school! And yes, it is so cool to see where we all have ended up, and what's funny is that in a few short years, you and I and others will likely be in new places all over again!