Saturday, March 24, 2012

What Matters Most

Not to be morbid, but I have been thinking a lot lately about how none of us ever know when our last breath will be taken. Life is not guaranteed. Last week in a training meeting, a member of the stake presidency said "we are all just one breath away from being single." That choked me up on the spot. It's so hard to imagine my life without Stace. I love him so much. My heart just aches at the mere thought, & tears well up in my eyes. He is such an amazing husband & father. And person. We are all big fans over here.

Lately I have also been thinking a lot about how much I love my dad, and worrying that I don't show it well enough. My heart aches at that thought too. I've always been "a Daddy's girl"...he's always been there for me. He's always told me he'll always be there for me. He's always given me good advice. When I think about my dad, I just think about wanting to hug him and tell him how much I love him. He's always given me awesome bear hugs. They say that when you grow up, you realize your dad isn't invincible. I still think my dad is invincible. My dad & my little sister:

On Thursday I watched this short video during nap time. I have watched it before...it's good every time. But this particular time, I just knew I had to act on it. I was so excited to, too! I knew my step mom was about to go back to Michigan next week, where she lives about 9-10 months out of the year, and I hated the thought of her potentially not getting to see Julian and Ella Grace one last time until she comes back in December. I wanted to see my dad and tell him I love him. Even though I knew they'll be in Gainesville next week, I wanted to share our babies with Stace's family. I am pretty sure we've had the longest stretch ever of our babies not seeing Grandmommy, Pop Pop and Aunt Candace (about a month!), so I knew they were all experiencing withdrawal symptoms. I love surprising people, so I wanted to surprise Stace's dad at work with the kids! I knew it would be totally unexpected...SO fun! I can't explain the joy that fills my heart when I see Stace's family giving my babies all the love and attention that they do. I am so grateful for it. It is just beautiful. (Side note: this past week, Julian asked if we were going to Grandmama's house after dinner. When I said "no baby, I'm sorry" he literally just started BALLING...I mean, inconsolably. It seriously broke my heart. He just missed them so much, and it had been way too long for him, too! It was sad, but SO sweet at the same time!)

So Stace (who wasn't able to come along) helped me load up the babies and our bags Friday morning, and I hit the road with two adorable kiddos in tow. When we got to Tallahassee, we picked up Grandmama & Candace, and then drove to Pop Pop's work. He came outside to meet (just) Candace, so he thought. From about 50 feet away, we watched him looking for her car unsuccessfully. Then we opened the sun roof and popped Ella Grace's & Julian's little heads through it and Julian called "Pop Pop!" When he heard Julian, he turned and I could almost see the disbelief on his face! Then he started running towards us...it was so cute! haha!






After surprising Pop Pop, we went to Moe's for some lunch with Candace and Elaine and then to the house to let Julian take a nap before going to see Grandpa Bill & Grandma Cheryl. While Julian snoozed, Elaine taught me how to make her AH-MAZING pound cake. I had signed up to bring a dessert to a baptism in Gainesville today, which I'd forgotten about when I came up with this little scheme! She saved the day, though:) I served it with whip cream and strawberries after the baptism, and it was a hit. So excited I know how to do it now!

We arrived to my dad's about 6:30. We seriously just had the best time. The babies were soooo good. I was so grateful because my dad is just not as used to babies as some. They were little baby rockstars though. I said a prayer of thanks to Heavenly Father about this last night because He knew I was a little nervous handling both babies (without Stace) at my dad's house. That same joy that fills my heart when I see Stace's parents with the babies filled my heart last night as I watched my dad and Cheryl interact with them. My dad was just kissing Ella Grace and telling her how pretty she is and saying "are you Mommy's girl? are you Grandpa's girl?" And at one point he was observing Julian coloring & said "that kid is gonna have a good life. He's just got his stuff (maybe he didn't say "stuff"...) together!" (don't worry...he said "stuff" under his breath, so J didn't hear). Also, Julian told me before and after dinner while we were there "Mama! Let's go sit on the potty!" where he proceeded to go #1 and #2. We aren't completely accident free yet, so I was so proud of him:) Cheryl was so impressed with how Julian did the puzzle she got out for him in 5 seconds flat, and they were both so impressed with how Ella Grace sat and played independently the whole time (when they weren't playing with her). Now, lest you think I'm trying to make it sound like my children are perfect, know that there are many times and days that aren't like this...but last night was perfect and I couldn't have asked for them to have been better! It was such a good evening. :)




We left early this morning so I could get back in time for the baptism. It was a quick trip, but I wouldn't change those moments we shared with our loved ones for the world.

Two pics below from January 29, 2012:


Playing with Mommy:)

I am so grateful to know, and to have received that reminder on Thursday of "what is important, and what is not," and to know, and receive that always-needed reminder of "what matters most."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Goodness this post made me cry! There is just something so sweet about the relationship between grandparents and their grandchildren!

freya said...

kim i don't think you're morbid at all. i worry about that stuff too! i think it's only natural!
way to take action to spend more time with family! that's so much fun you got to surprise them!