Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Dear America,

Dear America, 

Darling land that I love, the choice that has been made for you tonight has utterly bewildered me.  My heart is heavy, and tears have flowed. Just a couple things on my mind, because, you know, I am very passionate when it comes to you. I do not understand a number of things:
1. Why Barack Obama even wants to be your president again. He shines so brightly as a celebrity.  I'm honestly not trying to be ugly when I say that either: he just doesn't seem to really want to lead you anymore; and he will do so well for himself no matter where he goes from here. It just seems when he talks that there are other things he'd rather be doing.  His passion is gone. Maybe this is because he knows he has done and said so much to divide you so bitterly. Mitt Romney, as you know, was doing very well before he ever decided to run for president. He wanted to win this, not for himself, but for the love he has for you and your people. You are broken. He wanted to help fix you. He can't help himself from fixing disasters.  He has that passion that Obama does not.
And 
2. If the exit polls show that the economy was the #1 thing on the mind of the American people today, how did Obama win you over? (See graph two posts ago.) Ten trillion dollars of debt was acquired in the 232 years of the making of you before BO became president. In the last four years alone, $6 trillion more was added. America? Someone? Anyone? What in the world?

As I shut my eyes, hung my head, and cried tonight, I whispered to Stace "I can't handle this. I'm not ready for this."  And I'm not.  I'm not ready for all that this means.  One of two scenarios are playing in my mind right now...and for all I know, it really could come down to both: 
1. Your people have made a mistake so big tonight, I fear you may never recover.  You, as we know it, may very well be gone forever. But I invite your president and mine to, by all means, prove me wrong.  He says he needs four more years to finish what he started. This has been a very upside down way of fixing things, but if it took going so far backwards to go forward, then fine...I hope he just puts our money where his mouth is.  If he pulls it off, we'll call him Slingshot. It'll be mahvelous.
2. This is the Lord's way of preparing and ushering in the Second Coming.  We know a lot of bad things have to happen first, and with Obama as president, I believe that could be part of what paves the way for all of those things occurring.  I know I probably sound sensationalistic to a lot of people, but it is true that we are in the eleventh hour, that the Lord is going to come back, and that bad things need to happen first. If you don't believe me, you'll see.

America, my love, I am so sorry to be such a downer tonight, but these are my thoughts right now.  Tomorrow is a new day, and I know I will wake up with a better and more positive outlook. I may even be tempted to delete this post entirely. I was blessed with a sweet experience Sunday morning after I wrote this post that reminded me of something I needed to remember, no matter the outcome of the election.  I am going to write a much happier post in the coming days regarding that experience. But tonight, this is where I am. I'm sorry to my friends who know me as being an optimistic person. I am an optimistic person, but even optimists are allowed to get bummed every once in a while. And tonight, I have great cause to be bummed. Check back soon.

Love you Lady,
Kim 
And to readers: if you feel me on any of this, I would love to hear your thoughts as I honestly do feel guilty about posting such Negative Nanciness! Your two cents are always appreciated.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you were too negative at all. This country seems to be split down the middle right now. I'm not getting why we can see things and others won't even look to weigh it out. We just have to stand where we are and keep teaching what we know. Some will not appreciate it. Thank you Kim. I needed to see this tonight as I am up for the night it seems!

The Hargretts said...

Three words I thought of today and would think no matter the outcome: Follow the Prophet.

Shells said...

Ditto regarding Kendal's comment

Sally Sirmans said...

It's option 2. Don't be sad though. Rejoice!

Kim said...

Thanks for your comments, friends!
Vicky: thank you for your resoluteness in the face of this upset. I was up last night, too. So hard to sleep!
Kendal and Shelley: you both are right. Thank you both for your reminders.
Sally: thank you for your optimism! I know I should rejoice...and some days I do find myself wishing Jesus would just come back now! I am reading a talk right now by Ezra Taft Benson wherein he talks about preparing for the Second Coming. He gives many scriptures which prophesy of all of the bad things which will happen before the Savior returns. He then says "I realize this is an unpleasant topic on which to dwell. I take no delight in its portrayal, nor do I look forward to the day when calamities shall come with increasing number upon humanity...." These are the things which are hard to swallow for me...that make me sad because I know those (these) days will be very difficult. But, on the (happier) other hand, he continues..."But to an otherwise gloomy picture there is a bright side—the coming of our Lord in all his glory..." and that is a day I DO look forward to. :)
But I hope that explains a bit more of the "why" behind my gloominess yesterday; however the message of your reminder trumps the why of my worries. Thank you for your it...I did need it:)

Anonymous said...

I am horrified to see how this post is laced with hypocrisy and blatant racism. Doesn't your religion preach tolerance and acceptance? Just because a Mormon didn't win doesn't mean that the end of days are coming. I'm pretty sure you would not be saying all of this if Obama was white. You lived through the last 4 years- and last time I checked, you and your family are healthy and happy. So can you not just continue on?

The Bible says God once chose Kings- by extension, today God would choose a country's leader, meaning whoever won was the person God wanted. Are you doubting the word of God?

You claim that Romney wanted to win this, not for himself, but for the love he has for you and your people.' He only has love for white, rich, straight men. He does not care about women, for he wants to have control over their bodies. He doesn't care about minorities or the disadvantaged. To support him is to support all that is wrong with America. You should be ashamed of yourself.

All religion aside, it is your perogative as an American to support the Executive NO MATTER WHO HE IS, NO MATTER what your PERSONAL opinion is. This country is NOT defined by its president. No matter who won, DIVIDED WE FALL!

Anonymous said...

Kim, I hope you just delete Cross my mindX's comment. Whoever that person is just displayed that he/she is a racist. Also, that he/she doesn't understand that God does not take choices away....he allows the people to choose and then they live with the consequences. Otherwise, that person must also believe that God wants little boys and girls to be raped and all other heinous things that go on in this world. We know that God doesn't want those things to happen. He wants each person on this earth to choose Him and His ways. Your post is fine just the way it is. We know you are the furthest away from being a racist. The adversary is the father of all lies.

Kim said...

Cross My Mind: I too am horrified that this post came across as being racist or bigoted in any way to you. I am not sure how your train of thought lead you to conclude that after reading this post. I wish I knew your name so I knew whether or not I actually know you in real life. I don't think we do know each other, because if you knew me, you would know that I am neither a racist, nor a bigot. To have someone personally attack me with such strong and hateful words on my family blog/ journal is quite an affront, and could potentially be really hurtful. But I am going to take it with a grain of salt because I know who I am, and I know that I am neither of those two things.

Yes my religion does teach tolerance and acceptance. But we are also taught to stand up for what we believe is right, no matter the situation. To be clear: my church endorses no candidate, and is politically neutral. However, I am not. Just because I disagree with the political policies of our president does not mean that I do not believe in the fact that he and all people are children of God, and that God loves him just as much as he loves you, me and all of us.

I am sure you do not know me, actually, because if you knew me, you would not say "I'm pretty sure you would not be saying all of this if Obama was white." Of course I would have written this same exact post if Obama was white. I would have written this same exact post if say, Harry Reid (who is not only white, but ALSO a member of my church) had won the presidency. This has nothing to do with skin color. I'm sorry if that is the only excuse you can possibly conceive of for why I might disagree with the policies of our president.

My family and I did live through the past four years, and we are happy and healthy and I am so grateful for that. And yes, we can and will go on, but it is unfair to my children to take no thought for tomorrow, and to skip along merrily while we continue to increase the debt that they will one day have to pay back.

In a post a few days ago, I wrote about my main concerns. To reiterate: what I am worried about is our future, and the deficit that Obama is creating for my children to inherit. What I am worried about is where he has chosen to spend our money; for example: on companies like Solyndra-- 90 billion dollars that went down the drain. What I am worried about is how divided our country is, and that he has not "reached across the aisle" as promised so eloquently when he gave his acceptance speech in 2008. What I am worried about is that Obama has a voting record of being in favor of partial birth abortions. What I am worried about is our nation leaning more and more towards socialism. What I am worried about is the jobs that the people in this country do not have...the number is unprecedented. I am worried that so many people have given up "hope" and stopped looking for jobs. What I am worried about is national security. I am worried that for the first time since Jimmy Carter was president, on 9/11, a day where security should have been heightened especially in a country that is so dangerous, one of our ambassadors was killed alongside three others of our American brothers. I am worried that they asked for help more than once, and did not get it. I am worried. And it has nothing to do with race.

I respect the office of the president, and I respect Barack Obama for the good qualities he does possess. He has such a gift for speaking, and when he talks, I think all Americans want so desperately do believe him. But what I've seen over the last four years does not give me much reason or cause to do so.

Please make sure your harsh criticisms have legs to stand on before you ever post something so (potentially) insulting again on my family blog.

Brittany said...

You rock, Kim! It kills me that people are saying this is what God wants. He does not want people using addicting substances, gay marriage and a president that doesn't value human life. We know this through the scriptures and our modern day prophets. He does, however, want to us to make our own choices. That's the one thing that is truly ours: our free agency. And the majority of the American people have chosen poorly. I'm with you and countless others 100%.

Kim said...

Thank you so much, Brittany, for your compliment and for your support. Your thoughts on this are spot on.

Sarah said...

Kim, I am amazed at the way you handled those rude comments! I shouldn't be because you are awesome but you handled it so perfectly. It's really sad to me that people think the only reason someone could disagree with Obama's policies is if they are racist. And it is so sad that there are people who think that because Romney values the life of unborn children it means he wants to control women and their bodies. There are so many things wrong with that commentor's post but I will leave it be since you already handled it so beautifully! Love ya!

Stace Sirmans said...

I love you too, Sarah! amen to the fabrication that Romney wanted to control women's bodies by protecting the lives of unborn babies...what a crock. Thank you so much for your sweet compliment and the comment:)

Stace Sirmans said...

oops! This is kim, btw! I didn't realize I was logged into Stace's account!

Abby said...

I had wondered why you weren't posting on facebook anymore! I missed all your little family updates (because your kids are waaaay too adorable!)

I'm sorry you're disappointed with the outcome of the election. I've felt the same way before when Bush won in 2000 and 2004 so I can sympathize with how you feel, from the other side of course.

I don't need to rehash with you why I dislike Romney so much, but I did want to offer an insight as to why he lost (albeit by a narrow margin).

Romney was the Republican's version of John Kerry - lackluster and not completely loved by his own party. In 2004, I was not excited over John Kerry in the least, but I figured "hey how can he lose when Bush is SOOOO bad?'. But lose Kerry did, and for the same reasons I think Romney did - he wasn't able to garner most of the support of his own party, so conservative leaning swing voters chose mostly to just not vote at all.

I know it's probably easier for me to be optimistic right now since the candidate I voted for won, but looking back at my life since 2004 and my devastating disappointment when Bush was re-elected, I don't think my life would be any different had Kerry won that election. There are things I wish were different, but none of them really affected me personally.

So I don't think you have too much to worry about for now. As for your children, remember that one party never stays in control for too long! It's been a fairly even half and half during our lifetime. (Reagan, HW Bush, and W Bush on the red side and Clinton and Obama on the blue).

I'm sorry CrossMyMind was so rude to you. I don't know you well Kim, but do know with certainty you are not a racist!

Kim, I fear I will never understand your devotion to your faith, but you are still an interesting and kind-hearted person that I love keeping up with. Of all the people I met in my short time at Maclay, you have stuck out the most in my memory because of your sweet nature and infectious smile. I'm glad the cyber world has kept us (slightly) connected because although I couldn't disagree with you more on politics, your passion on that topic and others is a pleasure to read about! Thanks for blogging!

Abby Earl