Tuesday, March 5, 2013

First Temple Trip with My Mom

On February 16, 2013, I entered the temple with my mom for the first time as an adult. 
It was one of the very best and most sacred experiences of my life thus far.  

That day my faith in the Lord and in his ability to renew our hearts, our spirits, and our very beings was strengthened and solidified powerfully. 

We will always fall short. 
But he is always there, and he always has been there, to help us get back up, to try again, and then to keep trying.  Even when we may feel that we are beyond help, "too far gone" or are a useless cause, we can rest assured that he has never once felt that way about us. 

My Savior, Jesus Christ, is my faithful, reliable, trustworthy, and charitable friend.  He doesn't want us to give in to the false idea that we will never be good enough. We are good enough for him to have given his life for each and every one of us individually, and to have suffered each. and. every. one. of our pains, heartaches, sins, trials, and sicknesses because he loves us incomprehensibly and he always, always will.

 We will never be perfect, but because of he who is mighty to save, with a willing heart and the desire to try, we will always be good enough for his healing power. 

And that is exactly what it is: power. The power of renewal brings the determination to press on. The power of renewal through the Atonement of Jesus Christ is the most beautiful feeling I have ever experienced or witnessed.  It's one reason why we should always strive not to judge people based on past mistakes, especially when they have done all that they can to move on from those mistakes.  Jesus forgave, and so should we. And he is the mighty judge, anyway...never was and never will it be our own place to do so. And yet we will, and we can be forgiven of that, too.   We can always do better. And he will always help us if we ask.

I went in with some questions and doubts about myself, and I came out with a renewed knowledge (not just a belief) that I am a child of God: and when it comes down to it, that's all I really need to know in order to persevere. I am a daughter of a King Who loves me unconditionally and Who stands ready to forgive, to love, and to embrace me with the most tender, strong and real feelings of His abiding and enduring kindness and mercy. 

I am a child of God.
And so are you.

And do you know who taught me that sweet and simple truth from the time I was small?
Never once have I doubted it, because my mother planted and fixed it deep within my heart. Not once. And God has continued to emphasize this fact to my spirit over and over again throughout my life through His sweet Spirit which whispers to mine.
It's true. 

And on February 16, 2013, it all came full circle.

No comments: