Monday, May 12, 2008

"Motherhood: the highest and holiest service...assumed by mankind" - J. Reuben Clark

Recently my visiting teaching companion, a mother of five children, offered to let me borrow her book called "I Am a Mother," by Jane Clayson Johnson. With a slight smile, my response was "okay...but I'm not a mother." She said "yes, but one day you will be." Intrigued mostly by the author, a giant in the world of communications, I accepted her offer.
Let me just tell you, it was one of the best books I have ever read. It was filled with such touching quotes and stories. I literally cried the whole time I read it. Reading this book made me so excited and grateful for the day when I will get to be a mother.
I have to return the book to my visiting teaching companion, but before I do so, I wanted to share with you some quotes from it. Most of these quotes only portray the super flowery side of motherhood. The book also points out that there are many days when moms just want to pull their hair out in frustration after walls have been covered in crayons and pudding. But, take some time to read these and reflect on how special it is to be a mom, even on dirty-wall days.


**"When the real history of mankind is disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sounds of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses?" -Neal A. Maxwell
**"A mother's heart is a child's schoolroom. The instructions received at the mother's knee...are never effaced entirely by the soul... Family life is God's own method of training the young, and homes are largely what mothers make them." -Harold B. Lee
**"The more skillful the caregiver, the more invisible her efforts become. Ideally, the recipients themselves don't even notice they are being cared for, other than to accept caring as the natural order of things... Like the work of a fine seamstress, the tiny stitches that build character and confidence are invisible to the eye." -Ann Crittenden

1 comment:

Tice said...

Seems like a good book. And I love that you pointed out that the quotes you chose show the "flowery" side of motherhood. :) Indeed, it's filled with more hair-pulling days than I thought possible. And my kids aren't even teenagers yet...