When we arrived yesterday, Stace held Colby and I held Jordy as we showed them around their new surroundings. They were definitely apprehensive. We all stayed out on the porch with them for a while and held them, tried to comfort them, and let them know they'd be alright. Later that night on our way to a friend's house, I just started bawling. I feel so bad that I am leaving them...I hate that they might feel neglected. I especially feel sad when I think of Colby....I am not so worried about Jordy. Stace and I both knew Jordy always wanted to be an outside cat anyway; he always begged us to let him go and explore by sitting at our back window and meowing like crazy until we'd let him enjoy the sunshine outside. But Colby, my little (ok, really fat) baby, is, well, just a big baby.
I was so happy last night when I got home and found that Colby was in non-stop purr mode and just going crazy over all the fun things (bugs) to play with and chase outside. He has never been particularly friendly to strangers, but last night he went right up to Stace's mom, dad and sister and rubbed up against them and purred. This made me feel better.
We left Tallahassee this morning to get back to Gainesville in time for church at 1:00, but of course, not without saying goodbye. Stace didn't give Colby much of a goodbye and I think that might be because he didn't want to cry in front of his parents. Stace has a huge soft spot in his heart for the Colbsmeister. I went out there and played with him and petted him for a little while...and I just bawled all over again. I love my little Colbs. He brought so much laughter into our home with his silly antics. I will miss him a lot. It's weird that they're not here beside me as I type this. I am crying now! The tears might seem silly to some, especially to those who are not big fans of cats (I used to be one of those people), but...well...pets become a part of the family and it's never easy to say goodbye.
I just have to remember there is a beautiful reason why we decided to say goodbye to them. We know each family is different and that what might be good for some families isn't good for others. We feel it's best for our family to not have cats around when we bring a baby home. But, they will always be so special to us. We love them and are grateful for the way they expanded our hearts and our capacity to love God's creatures.
Colby (L) and Jordy (R)
Sweet little Jordy got sick back on Memorial Day (right before we found out we were prego)
Colby...Colbs, Colbs, Colbs...you are one in a million. Stace says this pic "pretty much sums up Colby"
4 comments:
I had to hold in my tears as I read this....and I don't even have the pregnant excuse anymore. I can't imagine having to say goodbye to Landon. You all are such strong people. Kudos on doing what is best for your family. And of course I'm glad they are somewhere you will still get to see them!
Aw, Kim!!! I know exactly how you feel. Michael is still pretty annoyed with my decision to keep our two cats and take them with us all the way to California, but I just can't let go of my little babies! Especially Sadie. I've had her longer than I have known Michael. I know it was a hard decision and I really commend you for doing what is best for you and Stace and your newly growing family!
You're so strong! I'm glad they have a fun place to live and everything worked out. I liked the pictures!
Kim -- I feel your pain! I would not want to send my little Kolee to live somewhere else, but you have to do what you have to do for the better of your family. Look at the bright side! You can always bring them back home down the road! :-) They'll still love you no matter what! I promise you and Stace this!! -- Tonya
Post a Comment