Sunday, June 13, 2010

Edelweiss

Just a month or so ago, my little sister and I were driving around with Julian and he became tired and was ready for a nap. He usually falls right to sleep in the car, but on this particular day he was a fussy kind of tired. We sang him a few lines from a few different lullabies, but nothing seemed to soothe him. Then, my little sister started singing "Edelweiss" ("A-dill-vice" from "The Sound of Music") and he immediately calmed down. It was amazing! I was stunned for two reasons:

1. that he immediately just stopped and listened when she started singing that particular song.
2. That that song had completely slipped my mind each and every time I went through my mental repertoire of lullabies for almost five months...I couldn't believe I had forgotten "Edelweiss"...my mom used to sing it to us all the time, and I loved it

I have noticed a trend since that day. Every single time he is fussy, I think save one time, he has calmed down when I sing him that song. But the even cooler thing is, not only does he calm down, he smiles really big. He's a really smiley baby in general, but I can't say that I have noticed him smiling SO big when I sing any other lullaby. It's just so neat. It just fills my heart to see that big smile he has.

Tonight as I was getting ready to put him in his crib for bedtime, he seemed to just be wide awake --doin' a little bit of the step, step, step and all-- (though I knew he wasn't). I started to sing Edelweiss, and his face just lit up, and he got that signature "Capital D" smile on his face (as his Aunt Candace likes to call it) and then calmed down. I put him down. When I left the room and closed the door he started to cry. Within a minute or so he was out.
I love Edelweiss.

No comments: