The baby books I have read say that babies really can't get on a structured routine earlier than four months old because their brains are just not yet mature enough/ wired to get into/ become familiar with a particular routine. Well, he is now six months old and up until about a week ago, I didn't have him on a bedtime routine. A couple people have asked me "oh, what is his bedtime?" and inside I have felt squeamish because...well, he hasn't yet really had a SET bedtime nor bedtime routine. He just generally has fallen asleep between 8:30 and 9:30. But not having a set bedtime routine was never really an issue; he is an easy baby and will go down just fine without a SET routine. And it's been a good thing since he has been such a world (ok, state) traveler since he was born! (But I think that has been part of my intimidation with the words "bedtime routine"...it's hard to even fathom a routine when it feels like you're seldom in the same place!)
Well, goodbye intimidation!
YES! I finally have him on a structured bedtime routine...holler! It only took about one week to get him into this for any moms out there who have felt like I did when it came to the words "bedtime routine." I'm glad we have that routine now. I think it's best for all of us. :)

2 comments:
Oh girl, people used to get mad at me (friends and family lol) when I was such a stickler to my routine with the girls. I am a strict mommy and bed time is bed time! No ifs ands or butts. If they want to deal with twin girls that are outta whack they are more than welcome to but I will not do that to myself. Go routine!
I do a baby directed schedule and that works for us for now, she has her routine down pretty well and it complements mine! But I get that same feeling when people tell me she needs to be on a schedule, but I just think all babies AND mommies are different. I like that she sleeps from midnight to 10 AM because she gets to spend more time with daddy that way. We'll get on an official schedule sometime though!
Post a Comment