Thursday, August 23, 2012

An Untimely Death!

A few months ago, I found this idea and thought it was just great!  I set out to make one, since I knew it would be helpful in teaching Julian the concept of time, and also to have a fun way for all of us to stick to the comfort of a routine.  I thought this would be so fun!

I set out to find a reasonably priced clock. I looked everywhere short of Timbuktu. Finally, my tireless trips to Goodwill proved beneficial when I found this little gem for $4.99. What was even better than that it was a perfect size is that it chimed on the hour, every hour (with a bird's song, no less).  I played a trick on Stace (who didn't know of my plans for a routine-clock project) and told him I had just made the BEST find at Goodwill! I acted all excited, then I presented him with this:
Needless to say, he was a little confused and wondered where whatever sense of decorating I may have had gone.  I had a good laugh, then filled him in on the project idea. I tested it out and put batteries in to make sure it was fully operational. It worked like a charm!  What a find!  :) Then I set to work making my clock face using Heritage Makers. I also spray painted the clock a fun color:
Well, the thing about Heritage Makers is that the cost of shipping can be a little pricey at times,  especially when you're just ordering one 12x12 piece of paper. So I decided to wait to order it until I had something else to add to my cart to make the shipping cost more worthwhile. Months went by, and finally I had completed another project and went ahead and put in the order.  I excitedly opened my package when it arrived!  Then I assembled our new routine clock, so pumped to see it finally all put together:
 
Then I stuck the batteries in, tightened screws, and...nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing! I was so sad!  After all this time and effort, it doesn't even work.  So now it sits on my counter as I mourn its loss and try to figure out what to do with it.  I take a peek inside Goodwill and the Dollar Store any chance I get, but still no luck.  

So, if you happen upon a delightfully ugly clock at a thrift store, you know who to call. :)

3 comments:

Amber said...

Oh no! There has got to be a way to fix it! That stinks! So cute, though!

The Hargretts said...

I'm so sorry!! Goodness that really stinks. I hope you find another clock soon. It's such a great idea.

Rachel Glenn said...

haha I am dying... my mother in law has that hideous bird clock! Next time i'm there I'll steal it off the wall for you:)