Friday, August 17, 2012

Passion

This post is a little difficult to write because I feel so many emotions about its topic, and I therefore know I will fall short in expressing myself fully and adequately.

Politics.

A mere word which holds behind it the ability to empower, infuriate, ignite, and energize before another one is even given the chance to be muttered.

Politics. 

Why would I even go there?  I live a happy life which is colored by beautiful children and a handsome husband who love me. I have an amazing family and the truest of friends.  My faith in God completes me, and my relationship with both He and His Son give my life purpose and direction. All of these facets of my life fill me with joy in its purest form. I have so much for which to be grateful.  Counting my blessings would surely take more time than the time I will be given to live here on this earth. I am a happy person with a positive outlook on life.  I would rather laugh than do most anything else. I am pretty chill & go-with-the-flow (my husband helps in that department!). If I had to choose the name of my worst enemy, it would be "confrontation" and/or "drama."  The only time I would seriously consider ruffling anyone's feathers is if someone decided to hurt those whom I love, namely my children and my husband. Mama Lion knows no cage. And that is the gospel truth. Can I get an amen? Amen.

So....politics. Why would I go there? It would be so much easier to stay aloof to what's going on around me in this world, or at the very least to just keep my thoughts to myself. 

But I can't. I just can't. I will tell you why I feel so passionately about this upcoming election. Or I will do my best to do so.

America. Our country. I feel a love and pride for this place that moves me to tears when The National Anthem or America the Beautiful is sung.  So many lives have been lost to protect our freedoms, and so many American lives have been given to serve and protect our brothers and sisters all over this world.  No one nation is perfect, just as no one person is. But overall, this country we claim as our own is extraordinary. We are a nation of charity. We are a nation that provides hope to the hopeless and strength to the weary. We are a nation of dreams. We are a nation of brotherhood and sisterhood that transcends politics. In my lifetime, that was proven on September 11, 2001, and countless times afterward. In my own life personally, I will never forget the reverent hush that swept across the Maclay High School courtyard on that somber day when four seniors solemnly climbed atop the outdoor walkway roof and raised the flag of our great nation. Tears were shed as this act was performed, which seemed to signify that bad people in this world may take our buildings, our cities, our aircraft carriers and even our lives, but they could never take our spirits, our resilience, and our determination to succeed against even the most insurmountable heartaches and devastating of events.  No one could take the spirit of America.

I mean it with all of the energy inside of me that I do not believe this election is about the ideological views of the democrats or the republicans, liberals or conservatives; or who is right and who is wrong in that age-old debate.  Both sides hold goodness, just as all people have goodness inside of them. This election is truly about the safety of our country.  Our president wants to see a world where no nuclear weapons exist. And wouldn't that be lovely?  The best dream we could hope for, definitely.  So he has decreased our nuclear weapon stockpile from 5,000 when he took office to 1,500, and wants to see it go down to 0. The unfortunate thing about that ideal is that it is not shared by radical leaders of other countries. So we will be left defenseless in a world where there are some who would love nothing more than to destroy us.

Our president spends money as if we have an unending supply. Our national debt rose more in his first three years of office than it did in all of eight years of Bush Jr's combined. From George Washington to Bill Clinton, our national debt accumulated to a total of 5 trillion.  Since President Bush, Jr. until now, we are now at 15 trillion in debt. It's a number too big to fathom, so maybe we just ignore it? No. We can't do that anymore. We are living far outside of our means, and we are headed for a serious catastrophe that will be too in-your-face to even try to ignore. The more in debt we are, the more we are leveraged to our debtors, other countries, which gives them more and more power over us.  And the citizens who reside here are the ones who pay the price of that fiscal irresponsibility. The citizens who will one day reside here, our children and our children's children, will bare the awful brunt of our failure to balance a budget and reduce excessive spending.

The nature of my husband's work and those who are in his field is to spend countless hours collecting and analyzing data regarding all aspects of the American economy. Their life's work consists of researching what has fiscally worked and what hasn't, not only here in America but throughout the entire world.  Last night over dinner, Stace said that he and his colleagues are like "America's doctors" and they are writing prescriptions to fix what's happening, but no one is bothering to take the medicine.

President Obama will not raise his hand to his heart when the national anthem is sung, even whilst all those around him do so.  When Obama took office, he sent back the gift to British diplomats of a Winston Churchill bust that had resided in the White House.  Go back to your American History class in high school or college. Remember Winston Churchill? He was a good guy! A GREAT one, in fact. He helped us defeat the Nazis in World War II. Our allies in Great Britain took great offense to this reshipment across the pond.

Before taking office, President Obama was a senator. That's it. Among his associates are many the mainstream media covered up, folks like his longtime friend William Ayres who tried three times to bomb America, and another: his preacher of 20 years, Jeremiah Wright, who married the Obamas and baptized their children, and said in a heated sermon "Not God bless America. God damn America! That's what the Bible says!"

No sir, Mr. Wright. God bless America.

The Reverend was offered $150,000 to keep quiet before the 2008 election, but he turned it down. When he said "no", Obama went to him in person. The Reverend said in an interview that the last thing Obama said to him is this: "you know what the problem is with you? Your problem is that you just have to tell the truth." No sir, Mr. Obama. Shame on you.

President Obama seems so driven by a reelection that he is blinded to all else. He told Russian President Vladimir Putin in what he thought was a private conversation that he could work with him more "after my election." He has consented the release of classified information time again that has put our soldiers and our people in serious danger: this video, created by retired CIA and military personnel, was released two days ago on Youtube, and already has had 2 million views.

Stace and I just went to see a phenomenal film called "Obama: 2016."  We decided to go see it after reading these reviews: ""'2016' completely surprised me. I thought it would be an emotional exhortation to get out the vote against Obama. Instead it was a factual, unemotional documentary of Obama's life and cultural influences...What will America look like in 2016 if Obama is re-elected? That is the producers' question that he leaves with the viewers to consider." and "Regardless of how you feel about Obama, this movie provokes much thought about the man who is president of our great nation. D'Souza's thought process is remarkable....He guides you though his thought process without demanding that you agree with him re a final conclusion. D'Souza is not unkind to Obama, but simply states and shows facts and draws his own conclusion. The movie is a factual accounting of Obama's life, complete with Obama's reading of his book, "Dreams FROM my Father". D'Souza speaks with experts, authors, friends of Obama Sr., and relatives; much of the footage is shot in Africa."


It was incredibly thought-provoking, and completely factual. If you do nothing else after reading this post regarding the election, you need to see this movie. 

I will just end on the note of a serious request: Please. Please, don't be apathetic about this election. It's too important.  I don't care if you are liberal, conservative, libertarian or who you voted for in the last election. If you love this country and want to see our nation succeed, please educate yourself. I volunteer for the Mitt Romney campaign by making phone calls out to voters to see where they stand.  If someone tells me they are still unsure, I do not take the opportunity to bombard them with Romney facts and figures, or tell them why I think a vote for Obama is a vote against our country, or about how the director of the Florida Democratic Party released an Op-Ed entitled "Why This Democrat Will Be Voting for Mitt Romney". I tell them earnestly and in all sincerity "good luck in your research." And that is all I wish to you.

2 comments:

Ryan and Crystalee said...

Wow. You wrote thus beautifully, Kim. I appreciate you sharing what you hold dear. Do you know where I could find the 2016 film? Is it available publicly? I agree that there's no room for apathy among America's voters. No one has a right to complain if they don't use their hard-won right to vote (especially us females...can I give a shout out to Susan B. Anthony?!)

Truly, we are living in the last days, and the signs of the times are upon us. Thanks for doing your part to protect what you believe in.

Claudia said...

Thank you for sharing this post. I had no idea about half of the things our cuurent president has done/is doing. This is our America and we need to defend it by voting for the right persons. Like you said, let the research begin!