Last night and tonight I sat in my favorite green chair making these little birdies for my sweet EGS' birthday, while listening to the RNC speeches. My sweet husband sat beside me, working away, in his recliner...the eyesore of my home, but arguably the comfiest spot in the house. Both nights, I had the sweet realization there was no where else I would have rather been than where I was, and nothing else I would have rather been doing.
I realized how very happy I was in those moments. There is so much to look forward to in life. As I sat and worked on a project that I enjoy doing, and as I listened to American ideals and dreams which I passionately endorse, I was filled with a sense of peace and optimism. Both what I was doing with my hands and what I was hearing with my ears culminated in a feeling of great love in my heart: a love for my daughter and a love (and not to mention, pride) for my country.
I felt a surge of anticipation. I now prepare for the upcoming events in our lives: upcoming birthdays, upcoming elections, upcoming vacations, upcoming faith promoting experiences (General Conference), upcoming new adventures to provide my children with, upcoming dates with my husband, and upcoming twists and turns in our future that are planned and unplanned. And the prep work is exciting!
The future holds the promise of the satisfaction, joy, and sense of fulfillment that comes from doing one's best to get there. And throughout this riveting anticipation which I can sometimes physically feel flow through me, I love striving to find, or simply happening upon, the joy that can be found in even the littlest things, because life doesn't begin once you get to a certain point. We are living it now, day in and day out. We cannot forget to find joy in each step that takes us from one exciting moment to the next. When we do so, it puts the beauties, and even the trials, of life into proper perspective.
And those little steps sure can be exhilarating.


No comments:
Post a Comment