I will never forget where I was: sitting in the library of Maclay School as a freshman in high school. Principal Bill Jablon walked over to the TV facing us, turned it on and said that a plane had just hit the World Trade Center. We watched in confusion and then went numb. We silently walked to our next period. We watched the news again in Mrs. Allman's English class. Then again in Mrs. Moody's FLES class (teaching "Foreign Language in the Elementary School").
My sadness turned to gripping fear as I realized this tragedy might hit closer to home than I originally processed.
My dad.
He is always on an airplane, and at that point in time he was doing a lot of business in Chicago. I frantically worried that Chicago, another big American city which is home to the Sears Tower (the tallest building in the USA) would be next on the list. I called my dad, so scared that he was flying that day. I was overcome with relief when the receptionist said he was in the office...because nine times out of ten he's not...he's on a plane going all over this country. He picked up the phone, called to his secretary "Jackie, close my door please!" and then he broke down...sobbing, and said "Kimmie, we're at war."
...
Stace
and I watched the news the other night...nonstop coverage of the events
that took place eleven years ago. Watching the coverage made it all
come back like a flood of memories rushing to my heart. Again it was
all so fresh on my mind. My heart broke all over again, and the tears
still came as I heard story after
story of the heroes on that day, and saw the devastating acts caught on
camera. Too much horror. How could anyone have so much hatred in their hearts to do something like this?
Last year
we started a new tradition to commemorate some of the greatest heroes
of our time, the firefighters who gave and risked their lives to save
the lives of others on September 11, 2001. We made cookies and walked down
to the fire station to deliver them to the firemen. It is such a small thing to do to try and honor those amazing angels
for their ultimate sacrifice. One day we will be able to explain it to our children and make it a more meaningful thank you.
This year our buds Amelia, TJ and Ayla joined us! Amelia brought over the goods to make a special cookie cake. Julian and TJ had fun doing their part to help:
After we made it we loaded up a very tired Ella Grace and two wired boys and made our way to the fire station. Ayla was set! :) Ella Grace was very calm, but just did not want much to do with photos!
Look at those precious faces. :)
Inside the firetruck:)
Fireman Brian gave out high fives and turned the firetruck lights on.
Sweet boys.
Walking back home.
The hope of the future...
I hope we can always do our best to make sure this day is a day we remember.
On Sept. 11, 2001, our beloved prophet,
President Gordon B. Hinckley said, “Dark as is this hour, there is
shining through the heavy overcast of fear and anger the solemn and
wonderful image of the Son of God, the Savior of the World, the Prince
of Peace, the exemplar of universal love, and it is to him that we look
in these circumstances. It was he who gave his life that all might enjoy
eternal life. ... May the peace of Christ rest upon us and give us
comfort and reassurance and, particularly, we plead that he will comfort
the hearts of all who mourn.”






2 comments:
Your kids are two adorable. I love how Julian and his best friend always match in clothes when they are together. Too cute and great way to remember the day! --Obi
Love your pictues! I thought my picture of the boys hugging was awesome until i saw the ones you too of them in the wagon. So cute! The "special" cookie cake will probably never be made again by this cook, but we had a blast making it with yall! Thanks for letting us join in on your 9/11 tradition!
Post a Comment