Friday, December 7, 2012

Final 4: J's Bday Shenanigans!

When we got home from Disney World and transferred sleeping children from the car to their beds, it was time to put away my Thanksgiving decorations...
(since Julian was born on December 2nd, we decided we wouldn't decorate for Christmas until after we'd celebrated his birthday)
and decorate for our little guy's 3rd birthday! Stace was so cute-- so pumped to fill up about 30 balloons at the sheer thought of how much fun it would be for Julian to wake up to:).  I snapped a picture of him as he finished scattering balloons throughout J's bedroom, a fun tradition we started last year.
Another tradition started last year was to cover his doorway with streamers so he'd have to burst through them in the morning.  At 1 AM, I realized that the only streamers I had were pink, so I fashioned streamers out of plastic gift bags leftover from Julian's 1st birthday...
Yup, he slept in his Disney clothes since he was fast asleep when we got home!  Here he is about to bust through!
Playing with all the balloons!
 We told Julian we were going on a "balloon hunt" outside.  Here's our crew, at the beginning of said "hunt"...
  Looking for the balloons...

But here is what the real hunt was all about!!! Julian had no idea they were coming!
We knew we wanted Pop Pop to be hiding in the bushes. Here's why...
One day while driving down Centerville Road, Julian blurted out that he thought Pop Pop was "over there, hiding in the bushes." Since then, it's been a little joke in our family that Pop Pop likes to hide in the bushes. If Julian brings him up on any given day, we might say "I wonder what he's doing right now?" And our conclusion is always that he's probably somewhere hiding in the bushes. Lately, Julian has covered his eyes and pretended to disappear, and later tells us he was hiding in the bushes with Pop Pop (feeding the kitties).
Next up, we needed to find our next "balloon!"....
 Sharing his favorite popcorn (we get it when we go to Target sometimes "Smart Food") with a fellow popcorn lover...
 I think there may be more balloons in the backyard...
 There are the rest of the balloons!
Here are a few short videos to capture his delight upon finding his balloons!

 Showing Candace and Grandmommy his special Cars cake!
 Our party guests brought all the fixins for a fun afternoon of pizza making!
 Julian loved being in on the process!  Genius idea by Grandmommy:)
 Grandmommy got Ella Grace down for a nap with her new kitty cat:)
 Daddy sharing Julian's first pepperoni with him...
"1, 2, 3...taste it!"
 Daddy also came up with the idea of letting Julian put sprinkles on his birthday pizza...
 And since the pizza making was orchestrated by top chef Candace, of course they were so delicious!
 Happy birthday crews!
 I want to start this photo as a tradition (idea from a favorite blogger, Shauni at 71toes...Julian looks like her daughter Lucy in this photo!)
 Trying out his sprinkled pizza!
 Natural sunlight captures the best images...and every detail I never want to forget...
 Since this day, Julian has been obsessed with going on "balloon hunts"! As soon as he was done with his pizza, he asked me if we could go on another balloon hunt.  I "hid" some in the backyard. Here he is finding one...
 Ella Grace has started to do a big cheesy grin for the camera! I love it!  Here is one of those moments, though her mouth is full of pizza!
 Candace keeses...
 Ella Grace! Look at her cheesin!
 Grandmommy got some of these photos too...we'll see how those turned out, too!
after dinner birthday snuggles...
 Pop Pop all tuckered out, and since a stuffed animal wasn't around, he grabbed the next best thing;)
 Julian's present was Disney World, but we got him a couple things from TJ Maxx, as well, including this Mickey Mouse Look and Find, Cars puzzles, and a couple books from Goodwill.
 And he was thrilled (and still is) to be the recipient of these cars from G, P.P., C, & B!
 He loves Candace so. much!
 Oh my goodness, and Pop Pop too!
 Saying goodbye to his favorite birthday balloons!
 And as soon as they left, we set to work setting up our Christmas decorations!   I was so grateful/ impressed with Stace's enthusiasm to get our tree set up so quickly! When I told him so, he informed me that apparently, Candace and Berkeley teased him and said he'd take forever to put up our tree! I'm so glad they teased him because he had that tree up before they even got out of our neighborhood! ha! ;) Candace: can you do me a solid and tease him about our backyard? ;)
Julian was so excited to put the star on the top of the tree!  (I got it at Goodwill for $1, btdubs!)
We ended the night by introducing Julian to a treasured tradition from my family: watching
A Muppet's Christmas Carol
I know Candace will be ashamed if she reads this, but this is one thing I will stand up for til the death! Maybe I can get her to come over to my brother's with us for Christmas dinner and enjoy the conversation, which will inevitably include quotes from this classic piece of cinematic masterpiece! ;D

This day was a wonderful end to a whirlwind of birthday celebrating!  

3 comments:

Tonya Driggers said...

I cannot believe he's 3 already! It seems like yesterday he was still in your cute little tummy! Your family is soooo cute! Love ya!

Tice said...

I want all of those people to hide in the bushes at my house!

Kim said...

Tonya: I can't believe it either! I feel like my shower at Ann's house was so, so recent! I love you too!!!
Tice: Right?! I may have been just as excited as Julian! ;)