Sunday, January 13, 2013

Julian's Self Portrait

Today Stace taught Julian's Sunbeam class-- Julian moved up from the Nursery to Subeams last week since he turned 3 last month. The lesson was called "Heavenly Father has a Body," and Stace taught how God created us in His image and we have bodies, too. Daddy put his iPhone on reflection mode, and held it as he walked around the room and let each child look in the "mirror". He asked the children questions like "what color is your hair? What color are your eyes?" Julian knows he has blonde hair and blue eyes, but as he looked at his reflection, he stated "I have black eyes." He must have been fixated on his pupils...

After the children took note of their reflections, Stace asked them to draw pictures of what they saw in the mirror.

After church Stace handed me Julian's drawing but I didn't give it a look as we wrangled to get the kids to get in the car. But Stace redirected my attention to the drawing and said "that's actually pretty impressive."

By way of explanation, Julian has always preferred to gnaw on the Crayons:)  So for a child who has never shown much interest in drawing or coloring, Julian's artwork truly made us so proud!! I mean, he's only ever drawn one discernible face before, and even then, it wasn't that discernible:) I must have asked Stace three times with a huge, proud smile on my face "he did this all by himself?!" :)
He drew pupils in his eyes, "a big smiley face" he said, hair, a nose and of course, "lightning"-- because what's a self-portrait without a little lightning? :)
Our little Picasso at church today.

1 comment:

Eloquent Obi said...

Precious! I know this one is going right on the refrigerator! :)