When Julian's first birthday rolled around, I wanted to do a big party because I wasn't sure if we'd be able to have another baby and another first birthday party to plan. If I could only do one first birthday party, my philosophy would be "good big or go home!" :)
Well, fast forward two and a half years and, to my utter joy, I had another first birthday party to plan!
Ella Grace's nursery is decorated with the Pottery Barn Kids collection called "Sweet Birdie" (thank you, Craigs List:). I just love the little birdies that greet me each day when I pick her up from her crib, so I decided birdies would be an adorable theme for her party, too.
I decided on the theme back in March, so I had lots of time to spread out the hunting and gathering of decorations!
I used to be a consultant for a company called Heritage Makers, which allows its customers to create storybooks, posters, cards, canvases, etc online (kind of like Shutterfly, but way better) and then the company publishes what you've created and ships it to you. As a consultant, I earned lots of free publishing points which I still have. I used my free points for Julian's first and second birthday parties, and again for Ella Grace's party. I suppose from the outside looking in, one could guess this party cost me a lot of money, but most of the decor was either free or handmade, or already owned! All the frames I used I already owned unless otherwise noted.
So, here is the invitation I designed with my Heritage Makers free publishing points: Front--->
Back--->
Come on in...
this is a door decoration Julian and I made using diapers boxes and coffee filters
If your eyes went straight to the "welcome table" (a table Stace gave me on our very first Christmas), you saw this:
The good thing about throwing a traditionally "spring" themed party at the start of fall is that all your decor is on clearance! I did gather decor along and along, but the things on the table below were relatively recent finds. I got that little white birdie at Michael's for $1 (I spray painted it). I got 4 little birds' nests on Clearance at Target for $4 (they can and will be used in years to come when I decorate for Spring). And I got the little birdie stand at JoAnn's on clearance for $1.50. Her initials were on clearance at Hobby Lobby (they were hot pink and black, but I painted them) and I got the frame on the left at IKEA for I can't remember how much, but they were also inexpensive (cheaper than a frame at TJ Maxx).
If your eyes went straight forward upon walking into the house, you'd
see this banner I made using free points on Heritage Makers, and ribbon I
already had:
If your eyes went to the right, you'd see "Gracie Girl's Nest Egg". I had that frame already, and I hand-sewed that little birdie.
I purchased the green vases on either side of the table from Goodwill,
and I saved the flowers from my sister-in-law's trash pile...
Before heading outside, you'd find this little display of photos captured by from my amazingly talented friend Irene. She would not let me pay her. I am determined to babysit for her while she and her husband have a hot date, or something!!!
I used Mpix.com to print the photos (they are SUPER good quality, super cheap, super quick, and they always send out awesome coupons! I found out about them from a professional photographer here in Gainesville. She told me a lot of times professional photographers use Mpix and then charge their clients the big bucks to make a giant profit...so, there ya go! Tip for the day:) I made those little felt birdies at the top, and I got that little tree at Goodwill. I love it so!
Finally, the main event was outside where you'd find the food table:
again, banner was made with free points from HM and ribbon I already owned, and I hand-sewed all the little birdies you see hanging from the blue felt, and in various places throughout the party. I have an embarrassingly large collection of felt, which I used for the birdies. I did not already have that light blue felt in the background. But felt is an easy and inexpensive way to add color and a neutral base for your backdrop, especially when you get it at 40% off at JoAnn's like me (I think it was about $4). I got the little birdcage at Hobby Lobby. It was already marked down, but the little birdie's wing came off so they gave it to me for $3. I used a long (already owned) ribbon and strategically placed it over the wing so you couldn't tell something was missing:) I saved the little white headboard in the background from the dump when my friend had it at her curb. It's supposed to look a bit like a picket fence. I don't know if I pulled it off, but I do like what it ultimately added to the whole scene. :)
My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are awesome and they made and brought the MOST delicious chicken salad sandwiches EVA! (Recipe courtesy of my sweet friend Mary Ann!) Seriously, I used to think I didn't like chicken salad (because I don't like mayonnaise), but one time Stace and I went over to the Carr's for dinner one night and that's what they had made, so I ate and I couldn't get enough of them!
Candace and Amelia made these adorable birds nest cookies! The miracle of this party is not only the child we celebrated, but also the fact that I bought these Reeses eggs during the after Easter sales and I was able to keep 3 of the 5 little boxes til party day!
I got the food sign frames at IKEA for 99 cents. I made the signs the morning of the party! eek!
Cupcake toppers also used with free HM points, and my friend Rachael offered to help so I asked if she could make cupcakes! They were exactly what I wanted! :)
I made this little cake by baking an 8-inch round and then used a cup to "cookie-cut" a few layers to stack on top of each other...
I was kind of excited because I was gonna collaborate with a friend's sister who owns a cake shop to concoct up a fancy-shmancey cake, but it was gonna cost waaay too much for my budget, so I just made something simple. Amelia and Candace made me feel better when they said "That's good! I like simple!" Thanks girls:)
If you want the eye-candy appeal of cake pops but have neither the time nor the patience for them finiciky thangs, do marshmallow pops! Candace was my amazing helper who came the night before the party and made these. She rocks my world. The little toothbrush holders I stuck them in were also a Goodwill find:)
They were a big hit with the kiddos!
My sister-in-law (Beth) told me about a website called VeryJane.com. Have you heard of it? If not, you will either love me or hate me for telling you about it! Etsy sellers and crafters sell their handmade products on VeryJane for deep discount. That's where I got these paper straws and mason jar lids. I got 50 straws for $2, and the flower-punched lids were 6 for $3.25 (I bought two packs).
I also got the necklace I wore at the party on VeryJane. Thanks for the tip Bethy! ;)
I loved this idea that I found on Pinterest. The best thing about these, and any party decor, is that you love them so much they can be used long after the party is over. I made two of these little beauts, and I will be pulling them out any
chance I get (too bad they don't match my Halloween decor:/). They were made using two pieces of construction paper, a Styrofoam ball, and pins. Say hello to Michael's coupons and you have yourself some cheapity-cheap decorations to love your whole life through... (and I had the candle holders I placed them on).
To the left of the food table was a "decorate your own bird house" station. These little birdhouses were the first thing I bought for the party, back in March at the Dollar Store. I got these mostly to appeal to the older children (my nieces) who would be in attendance, but ALL of the kids loved this! And Julian has enjoyed painting and repainting these things over and over again. I got this frame at Goodwill a few months ago.
Nieces:
Little "Jula"
Masterpieces:
To the left of the birdhouses was a little photo opp station. I bought the fabric at JoAnn's for 40% off. Unfortuntately, it was not as wide as the felt, so Amelia saved me some time (and a headache with my bobbin issues), and sewed it all up for me! I loved the idea of this little backdrop that came to me one day as I was driving, I just wish it hadn't been placed in such severe sunlight. I didn't have many options of where to place it. I cut out the word bubbles using foam core board ($1 Dollar Store) and chalkboard spray paint from Wal-Mart I'd bought when I made a sign for Julian's first day of school. I made the banner using my friend's Cricut machine, and turquoise ribbon I already had and I bought the thin pink ribbon. PS: I love this skirt! Guess where I got it? Goodwill. That's what's up.
World's collided at this party!
Grandmommy and Pop Pop love Ella Grace!
TJ could hardly proclaim his love for Ella Grace in the proud manner he wanted to because the sun was shining so bright in his eyes!
Next on the list of homemade items...enter the all-important high chair:
penant banner made with Heritage Makers...
I bought a pack of plain white bibs for Julian's 1st birthday, then sold them to Amelia at my garage sale! Well, it turns out I'm an Indian "giver" because I needed one again for my daughter's party! Thanks Amelia! :) I sewed on that little felt birdie and thought a strand of pom poms would give it a little bit more! I love how it turned out!
I followed this online tutorial to make the little felt hat below! My mom used that light green fabric to make Julian's bedding. :) My mother-in-law made me feel good when she seemed so impressed that I'd made this, and said "Kim! You could sell those! I was sitting here wondering how much you spent on that!"
Next thing I made were these little numbers! Ella Grace's onesie is one that she already had (Carter's size 6 months! Tiny thing.) and I got J's shirt on sale at Target. I was a bit perturbed by the pocket, but I decided to make lemonade out of lemons and had "Big Bro" embroidered on it:) I wasn't sure how I was going to dress Julian for a girly birthday party, when I like to coordinate their outfits when I can. After making about a gazillion birdies, I realized their wings were quite similar in shape to a football! Now that birdie is so masculine. ;)
Me and "my two babies" (I love that I still see the delight on Julian's face when I refer to my children this way:)
All those "# months" pictures had to be used somehow at the party!
I loved how floofy her skirt looked, especially sitting in this high chair!
My favorite thing about this picture is that she has no clue what's about to happen for her:)
"Do I get to eat a Candace?" she asked...
Nope! It's a little cake! But she's still not sure...
Brother was much obliged to help her out (so sweet!)
It didn't take her too long to figure it out!
Sweet angel girl:
After cake, Ella Grace had a wardrobe change...
Present time! Sweet Kate sewed this little pillow for Ella Grace!
Here is Kate telling us about her big sister's painting! These handmade gifts of love were so sweet:)
Ella Grace didn't hang around long to open presents!
I am so stoked about this little smocked number and matching bow! Grow, baby grow (ok, not really:) so you can wear it!
Here are some party pics!
Julian and all three apples of his eye:
Julian and his BFF, TJ!
My sister-in-law Beth and daughter, my niece, and Ella Grace!
Ahna was born in May of our baby girls' feetsies! She wanted me to take this pic... (we have one just like it of her son Levi and Julian from a two Mays ago, he is also younger and his foot was also as big!)
I love these girls for too many reasons to name:)
My beautiful sister and my awesome brother-in-law Tom!
Daddio! Can you tell where J and I got our cheeks? ha!
For favors, I made these little babies with Heritage Makers. I wish they were so cute they were jaw-dropping, because these little babies took WAAAY more time than they were worth! I had to cut each little nook and cranny of these boxes out of 12x12 paper, then hunt down an eyelet puncher (my friend Kelsey let me borrow!), and glue/ tape them. That list doesn't seem that long, but these took me longer than any other item for this party!
Guests signed a leaf on the tree (or I signed for them:)
This was such a fun party for us!
One thing I was a little nervous about was the idea that I wouldn't really be able to talk to my guests because there would be too much going on. This happened after Ella Grace's blessing. I felt pulled in so many directions, and I felt guilty for not really being able to talk to everyone as I tried to get photos to document the day (and make a book) as I had for Julian. But the opposite was true this day! I really had so much fun. I am so grateful for the family and friends who came to help make it so special! This day will go down as one of my favorites:)
PS: My free Heritage Makers points are about to expire...my kids will no longer be having cute parties from here on out...ha! :)
PS: My free Heritage Makers points are about to expire...my kids will no longer be having cute parties from here on out...ha! :)














































1 comment:
That looked like a pool party. Very nice!
Post a Comment