Last night before I went to bed, I read this talk by Elder Richard G. Scott given last April called "For Peace at Home." It really meant a lot to me as I read it. (An excerpt from the talk: "One of the greatest blessings we can offer to the world is the power of a Christ-centered home where the gospel is taught, covenants are kept, and love abounds.") It's interesting how in different seasons of our lives, certain General Conference talks carry more personal meaning than they do at other points. I'm so grateful that there is always inspired counsel, no matter what is on your mind and heart.
Today before lunch, the kids and I folded our arms to say a prayer. With the words of Elder Scott still fresh in my mind, the only thing I prayed for aside from a blessing on the food was an added measure of Christ's love in our hearts and home. I asked Heavenly Father to help the children know how much Jesus loves them, and asked Him to help their love for our Savior grow. I asked Him to help us remember how much Jesus loves everyone, and for us to try and follow that example.
After lunch nap time soon rolled around. After reading Julian The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything I turned out the light and asked him if he wanted me to sing him a song. He quickly and perhaps out of habit said "the Thomas song." I started singing "they're two, they're four, they're six, they're eight..." when he interrupted me, head still on the pillow, and with a smile on his face said "no a Jesus song!" Then he lifted his head up and still smiling said "a Jesus song! A Jesus song!"
Y'all don't know how long I've waited to hear him request that. Well, it's the first time he's ever requested that:)
I think the sweet feeling in our home today at nap time was strengthened by yesterday's. Julian will often put up a fight when it comes time for naps. (Both of my children are quite strong-willed...fyi.) I have recently more fully learned of the power that can come from quick, silent prayers said with faith in our hearts in our moments of need. Yesterday as Julian put up his usual whining plea to not have to go down for a nap, I silently plead with Heavenly Father to please help me handle this the way He would. The exasperated way I would has proven plenty to not work. I have learned in my short time as a mother that I absolutely can.not. do this alone...I cannot do it without His help. Perhaps this is a lesson we learn more and more as we grow older: doing anything without His love is never as effective as when done with it. I plead with Him in that moment to help Julian be calm and compliant. And it was miraculous. It was the most beautiful, drama-free pre-nap time routine I've experienced with him in a quite a long time. My prayer was answered.
We try to do the things regularly that we know will bring the peace of the Gospel into our home. But The Lord taught me an important lesson this week from an admittedly small thing. Doing family home evenings, reading scriptures together, and having family prayers...those are all good things! But we don't do them to merely "teach a lesson" or to simply cross it off the list of things we know we should do. It's not until we let the Spirit of why we should do it...the Spirit of Christ and his love, truly permeate the things we say and do in our home, will it prove to be truly effective.
Upon his "Jesus song!" request, I sang "I'm trying to be like Jesus." It's one of my very favorites (so much so that I used the lines of the chorus as my senior quote. I just googled it to share a link... apparently it's one of David Archuleta's favorites too;). I smiled the whole time as I sang, as tears gathered a bit in my eyes. Julian saw me smiling and he was smiling too as he had his head on his pillow and his eyes closed. I walked out of the room after telling him I love him, and as soon I closed the door, I knelt and said a prayer of gratitude.
I am so grateful for the Spirit of Christ. And I am learning a lot from the sweet, gentle, yet powerful love it can bring into our home.
Senior yearbook photo & quote This 3-year-old was quiet like this during all 8 hours of GC;D
Happy today after filling up his "poofball bank" with 10 for the first time! He subsequently got to go to the treasure box:)



No comments:
Post a Comment