Monday, September 7, 2009

To Paint, or Not to Paint?

Uggggggghhhhgrrrrrr...That's how I feel right about nowish. I have been feeling a serious need for some sort of "creative outlet" (to quote my husband) lately. I think I might go crazy without one. I was having a little bit of a stressful Saturday afternoon and I just got a tad emotional and Stace said "you just need a creative outlet. When I do my music or web design, I am using a different part of my brain and I can tell that I am." He said it was kind of like an escape. I knew he was right...that sounds great. THAT'S what I've been wanting! What he said reminded me of President Uchdorf's talk last year for the General Relief Society broadcast. In it, he said:

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before. Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty...

You might say, 'I’m not the creative type. When I sing, I’m always half a tone above or below the note. I cannot draw a line without a ruler. And the only practical use for my homemade bread is as a paperweight or as a doorstop.' " (Yes...this IS how I think! He was right on here. But I know he was also right on when he said the following:)

"If that is how you feel, think again, and remember that you are spirit daughters of the most creative Being in the universe. Isn’t it remarkable to think that your very spirits are fashioned by an endlessly creative and eternally compassionate God? Think about it—your spirit body is a masterpiece, created with a beauty, function, and capacity beyond imagination."

ahhh...dontchya love that?

Yes...this desire inside me to do something creative is real and legitimate. (It's always nice to know I'm not crazy!) I've been wanting to take up oil painting again. I used to do it a long time ago and I loved it. Why did I stop my lessons? I think because of soccer...I digress. My sweet little sister went out a couple weeks ago and bought me a set of 18 oil paints. (Wasn't that awesome of her?) So at my last doctor's appointment I asked if it is okay to oil paint while pregnant. He shrugged his shoulders and nonchalantly said "sure...why not? just keep the area well-ventilated." ok, apparently it's no biggie...at all?

So after Stace and I's chat on Saturday, we ventured off to Michael's today, armed with my Labor Day 50% off coupon and purchased a set of brushes, an easel ($7! ya!), and a few canvases that were each 40% off. I was so excited! I felt bad when we went up to the register to check out (eek!), but Stace was very sweet and supportive and said "that's just what it costs to start. When I bought my guitar and amp it was like $2000." He's great:)

When we got home Stace set up the easel for me and I was so excited to get my paint on. But, then...I got paranoid. Although my doctor told me it would be fine to oil paint, I Googled it and found that using oils is not recommended at all by the American Pregnancy Association. Ugh....

I tried scrapbooking as my outlet, but it doesn't quite cut it. So...for now, I shall go create folded laundry out of crumpled up laundry.

whah...whah...whah...

4 comments:

Lori said...

hey girl! don't give up on the painting!!! acrylic paints don't smell at all and they are easier to work with than oils...and they dry faster. i did it all the time when i was pregnant. you could buy a small set at michaels or you can go online to www.misterart.com or dickblick.com, or even ebay and get an inexpensive set. take a look and see what they have. i would just get the basic colors and then mix them together to create the colors you need. i recommend getting a glaze to go along with the paints...it makes them more buttery which helps it to go on the canvas more smoothly. email or call me with any questions. you do need something...you are obviously in the "nesting phase" of pregnancy and i always get antsy and want to paint, decorate, create, etc. and one more thing...to be honest, i don't think the oils are that bad...if you had an open area and took breaks i don't think you have anything to worry about. good luck!
lori

Starleigh said...

Eating hot dogs and baloney isn't recommended either but my kids are just fine. :) Turn on a fan. Turn up the music and just PAINT! You'll be glad you did. The amount of time you have to just think about you is quicly evaporating!

Brittany said...

I loved the quote from Pres. Uchtdorf's talk. I needed that this evening. Thankyou Kim! And yeah, I vote that you go ahead and paint.

Rach said...

I agree with everything about the acrylics.