This past Thursday I had the Young Women over to my house for what we called a "Virtue Spend the Night Party" and Book of Mormon Read-a-Thon. One of our girls took on the planning of the party as a Good Works Personal Progress project. She planned the agenda, the games, the videos we watched, went shopping for all of our food, made the food, and made other various preparations. It was a lot of fun! Though we didn't get through the entire Book of Mormon as we'd hoped to be able to do, we did get through a good portion of it and were able to each advance ourselves quite a bit in our quest to complete our Virtue Projects (which is to read through the entire Book of Mormon). I think it took quite a bit longer than we'd planned because:
A. Reading out loud goes much slower than reading to oneself
B. We stopped at least once as we read each chapter for everyone to write notes in their journals (a requirement for the project)
C. There were questions asked/ discussions about what we were reading
I picked them up at about 9:45 AM on Thursday and we started our reading at about 10 AM. We took breaks every 25 pages or so to play games, eat junk food and watch Youtube videos like this one: Dayton's Legs. We made an icee run that evening while Stace was putting Boo Boo to bed. I don't think I've had one of those since I was in elementary school! I don't ever drink non-diet soda, so I was feeling sick after just a few sips! But those few sips were goood. :) I vote they include Diet Coke in the flavors options!

That night we watched Napolean Dynamite (at their request!), went to bed waaaay too late, and then woke up and got back to reading! We ate lunch and then I I took them home about 1 PM. It was a great time and I think the girls all really felt it was time well spent. Though our numbers are small, we have such an awesome group of Young Women. I feel so blessed to serve with them.
I was reading through an old journal tonight and found some awesome quotes and thought I'd share them with you! Here goes:
"Nephi taught clearly that the Holy Ghost is the 'gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him' & that 'he that diligently seeketh shall find' (1 Nephi 10: 17, 19). The unquestionable reality is that you control how close you are to the Lord. You determine just how clear & readily available promptings from the Holy Ghost will be. You determine this by your actions, by your attitude, by the choices you make, by the things you watch & wear & listen to and read, and by how consistently & sincerely you invite the Spirit into your life."
Don't we all already pretty much already know that? But it's good to see it/ read it written out and spoken by an apostle of the Lord.
"Of this you may be certain: the Lord especially loves righteous women-- women who are not only faithful but filled with faith, women are optimistic & cheerful because they know who they are and where they are going, women who are striving to live and serve as women of God."
-both by Elder Russell M. Ballard
I read an awesome talk the other day and I will post the gems I found from that soon, too. :)
1 comment:
Kim that's so great! I really appreciated when my YW leaders would put a strong emphasis on the BOM. What you are doing for these girls will have a positive impact in their lives :)
Post a Comment