As many of you may know, I have never been known for my skills in the kitchen. I couldn't even boil water confidently until college, and the very first thing I ever baked was during my sophomore year of college, with my good friend Mindi helping me every step of the way. This is so sad, I know.
While some girls grew up helping their moms in the kitchen, my mom was not spending time in the kitchen, and therefore, neither was I. My mom spent the majority of the time on her college campus for the better part of oh, 8 years? She had to go back to school after my parents got divorced, and did so at a leisurely pace, and had lots and LOTS of studying to do. Meanwhile, I busied myself on the soccer and softball fields, and when not doing that, I was busy as president of student council, tap dancing, and even trying my hand as an actress/ songstress in my high school's rendition of Little Shop of Horrors my senior year. And of course, there was plenty of hours spent with friends (and boys)...none of which were spent in the kitchen.
I always told myself I wouldn't always be such a derf in the kitchen...that one day I would be able to cook and bake confidently. Well, a switch went off over the last year or so and I am here to say that after many successful meals and recipes...
I can cook!
I'd like to shout it from the rooftops, but for now, the blog will do. :)
In the last year or so, instead of dreading it, I have been having so much fun in the kitchen and I have so enjoyed finding and testing out lots of different recipes. It's a miraculous change, and I'm happy about it. I'm going to start taking pictures as I go and sharing the best-loved ones with you all...it will be fun for me:)
So, without further adieu, I'll share the first one...
A while ago I did this post, wherein I told you about how I made something called a pretzel crusted peanut butter blondie pie from Cookies and Cups. The name alone is almost too much goodness to bare. In said post, I went onto say how we didn't actually get to eat any of it. It had been for a friend.
I have been looking for a good excuse to make it since then, because you just don't make such things without a good excuse to back it up, all in the name of not jumping up three pant sizes just for the heck of it;)
Well, as my husband loves chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cups, and pies, and since I love pretzels...Father's Day seemed like a good day to give it a go! And, lemme' tell ya...
YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY THIS.
Here is a play-by-play of how to make:)
1. After preheating your oven to 350, get a couple of really cute footsies to break and smash up about 4 cups of small twist pretzels:
2. Combine crushed pretzels, 1/2 cup melted butter and 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl. Press mixture firmly into the bottom and up sides of a 10" pie or tart pan. Then stick that sucker in the oven for ten minutes & take it out. It'll look something like this:
While your crust is baking, make the filling by creaming your butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar with your mixer. Then add your eggs (Julian cracked the eggs for me...he's actually really good at it!) and vanilla and beat until combined and smooth. Then, on low speed add in your baking soda, salt and flour until they are incorporated evenly. While your mixer is still on low, add in your chocolate chips and Reese's Minis until evenly distributed.
Fill your amazing pretzel crust with your chocolate chip peanut butter blondie dough goodness:
Place pie back in oven for 30-35 minutes until just set. Make sure to do it long enough. I tend to take my cookies out a bit early because we like them a bit softer and chewier, but don't do that with this guy. He needs at least the amount of time listed to be cooked through. Let cool, serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and enjoy!!
More yummy recipes to come! :)


4 comments:
Yay for cooking!!!!! We should have cooking parties where we get together without kiddies and try new recipes and then eat ourselves silly!!!! :) And I am definitely trying this one out AFTER I lose this baby weight! Love you!
"derf"? Haha! I've never heard that before but I'm going to start using it! It looks like a delicious recipe. Thanks for sharing! :)
You are totally an amazing cook! I still have daydreams about that lasagna you served . . . ;)
This looks amazing! I need to try this!
Post a Comment