Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Coincidence and a Spill

Coincidence:
Today we went to Babies R Us armed with coupons to get some wipes and Diaper Genie refills. As a Babies R Us Rewards Member, I also had a 20% off coupon for any baby item, so we went and looked at the jogging strollers. The stroller I have had my eye on was $120, (so with the coupon, it'd be about $100) but we decided we'd look a bit longer (on Craig's List) to see if we can find a better deal. I knew it was best to wait, but I walked out of the store a little dismayed, to be honest. I've been taking him on walks (it's gotten lots warmer!) in the travel system, which is fine...just kinda bulky and I worry I'll wear the wheels out long before their time if I keep doing it...SO...I'm ready for a jogging stroller!

So we went home right after that and Stace got the mail from our mailbox and handed it to me. I then proceeded to open a card from a return address I did not recognize (in South Florida).Inside was a Babies R Us gift card for exactly $100! It was from one of my dad's friends whom I've never met. What a coincidence! Slash blessing! What are the odds!? Sooo neat!

Spill:
And, now, for the spill story! This morning I played my first soccer game since high school. In the pouring down rain. It was soooo much fun. But quite the humbling experience! Ha! I guess I figured it'd be kinda like riding a bike and that I'd just pick up where I left off with my "skillz." Not. so. much! I learned at least two things:

1. Playing soccer is not like riding a bike. At all.
2. I am way more out of shape than I even realized! (And I thought I was all too aware...)

Like I said, it was raining the entire time. So the field was reeeaallly muddy. I had not one, but two, quite elegant and sophisticated MAJOR SPILLS. The first one was particularly lovely. That was the one Stace saw...then I'm pretty sure he just stopped watching...perhaps it was too painful for him to look on (he was in the car with the baby).

By the way, I kind of also thought I would be playing with a bunch of gals who were just as out of shape as me. Not so. The girls all looked like my varsity high school teammates, and all seemed to take it VERY SERIOUSLY. One girl even got mad at me/ the referee when I accidentally tripped her going for the ball and the ref said "play on!" and she yelled at the ref "what?!" I told her I was sorry and that I didn't mean to. Hey, soccer is like Ring Around the Rosie anyway, we all fall down. Just most don't eat as much dirt as me while doing it.

All in all though, it was really fun! Granted, during the game I admit I kind of hated my life and kept wondering when the final whistle would blow (due to the nonstop intense sprinting and stopping and running and jogging for an hour!), afterward I was like "that was so much fun!" and I was all energized and excited for the next game! All my teammates made me feel a little better by saying "whoa! you just had a baby 8 weeks ago?! you did great!" but...I'm very aware they were being super nice...I was definitely NOT the MVP!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you are so cute! those are both great stories! have fun joggin up a storm with your new stroller!

Tonya Driggers said...

You go girl!!! :-)
Love ya!

MA said...

Give me a K! Give me a I! Give me a M! What's that spell? AWESOME KIM! Way to go girl! Glad you have fun.