Thursday, January 14, 2010

They must be feeling helpless, but we can help

The devastation seems to be unfathomable...so much so that it's truly hard to think about. But it's reality...and they need any and all the help they can get. Finally tonight I watched the news on the earthquake in Haiti...it's heartbreaking. When disasters and tragedies of this nature happen, I always feel so helpless, and I hate that. As Stace and I were watching the news we both wondered what the Church is doing to help; we knew it was doing something. So we went to the LDS Newsroom and learned that hygiene kits and supplies for newborns have already been sent. The Church is sending a team of doctors and medical supplies to help those who have been injured and will administer the care in a Church meetinghouse, which was largely unharmed during the earthquake. It will do and send much more.
Image from www.telegraph.co.uk
Tonight as I read the updates on the LDS Newsroom Web site, I realized that I am not the one who is helpless. I don't have a lot, but I have so much more than most of the people in that country, and you do too, so we can help. If you are looking for a way to help, there is a link on the Web site to donate to the relief effort. Please donate if you can!
One hundred percent of your donation goes to help those in need.
Today President Obama pledged $100 million to the recovery and rebuilding of Haiti. If 10 million people (or members of the Church) donate just $10, that pledge can be matched. Follow this link to donate: http://give.lds.org/emergencyresponse.

1 comment:

natalie said...

amen! It felt so good to hear my atheist cousin, praising the church for their efforts!
Just watching coverage on this devastation makes my heart hurt, especially when they talk about the children involved. Much prayer goes out to Haiti.