A couple weeks ago we were at a local park complete with little crooked houses, a sandbox, a mini golf area, and a tree house. Julian, Ella Grace and I were playing there all by ourselves, when a sweet little girl came over and asked if she could play with us. "Of course!" I said, and she stepped into the sandbox. I asked her how old she was and she informed us she was five. Julian likes little girls around this age because he has three girl cousins all around this age and he absolutely ADORES them, and the feeling is mutual. (Last time we left their house, the girls' mother --my sister-in-law-- commented as the girls all hung on Julian and doted on his every move "he is like a celebrity at our house!")
Julian, the little girl, Ella Grace, and I went into a crooked house and my baby boy and his new friend made me some food. Then the little girl ran out and said "oh! I've got to go to the grocery store!" she then ran up the tree house, with Julian following close behind echoing "I've got to go to the grocery store!" Then the little girl ran out of the tree house and said "I've got to go to work!" Again, Julian echoed her and went off to work with his new friend.
Remember, this girl has 3 years on my son, so she was running quite a bit faster than my toddling little Julian. Soon she put together that this little boy must have been chasing her (when really he was just trying to keep up with her), and soon another little girl joined in with her and the two of them ran away from my sweet baby boy. They went into a crooked house, and Julian caught up to them and tried to come in, but the girls were pushing on the door so he couldn't get in, laughing hysterically. Then they ran out, leaving Julian in the dust, & scrambling to keep up. He couldn't understand why they wouldn't let him play. As he ran after them, he plead so sadly in his little 2-year-old voice
"but I'm a nice boy! I'm a nice boy!"
By this time I was in tears (behind my sunglasses). One girl's mom was completely oblivious and the other looked at me and laughed and said "oh, they think it's a game!" I gave out a little chuckle to try and hide how completely heartbreaking this was for me, and hurriedly tried to distract my son. "Julian! Let's go to the gym! Let's go to Kids' Club!" and "Julian! Come play with me! Come play with Ella Grace!" Julian turned to me with tears in his eyes and yelled "but I wanna play with those girls!"
My sweet boy's feelings were legitimately hurt. That hurt so badly. It was the first time I've seen his feelings hurt/ him be flat-out rejected and it truly crushed me. Oh, my sweet boy. We soon were see-sawing without a care in the world, and soon after did make it over to my gym's Kids' Club, where he had a great time. But if something like that never happened again, it would be too soon.
I am just so glad he knows who he is...
He is a nice boy.

4 comments:
Oh, this is a tender story. Thanks for sharing. We come down here to earth and have those hurts and pains to experience, which ultimately help us grow. I'm sure he's already a welcoming soul like his mama, but Julian might recall the pain of being left out later. He'll be the nice boy would lets the "outcast" kid play with his group. I foresee it.
Thanks for sharing, Kim.
And may I please be one of your "peeps"? :)
Oh my goodness. What a sweet little guy! It's hard to see that happen, but I'm thankful he's got a great Mommy who has taught him who he reall is!
Do you mind if I follow your blog?
Crystalee: thank you for that sweet perspective...I would sure love it if that is the kind of boy he grows up to be:) he sure is a sweetie so I can see it happening:) And I can't believe I don't already have you on my sidebar as one of my peeps! Of course, my darling!
McKay: thank you so much:o) It was so hard to see...I hate to think that there will be more times like that ahead...we just gotta teach them as best we can at home right? :) Thanks always for your kind support and comments! And I would love to have you follow my blog-- I would love to follow yours as well! :)
Julian is amazing. And you are an amazing Momma! Thank you for sharing such a tender story and for sharing your raw and real emotions.
He is a nice boy.
Post a Comment