Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"Kimberly Thurmond"

Once upon a time I was a little girl...

 
then a preteen...
 
then a teenager...
 
with a lisp.

My maiden name is Sundstrom. Both syllables start with an "s".  It was a cruel, cruel joke. 

No, not really:) I used to get teased, but it never hurt my feelings. I'd laugh right along with the best of 'em. I remember my camp counselors' favorite thing to do to pass the time while waiting in line in my summer camp's cafeteria was to get me to say "Sally sells seashells by the seashore." They never tired of it.

Well, then I got my braces off (for the second time...) and my lisp was all but gone! Or, so I thought...
Today when repeating my last name back to me, the person on the other end of the line said "now, what is your last name? Thurmond?"  This has happened more times than I care to admit since I've been married.

My married name is Sirmans. It starts and ends with an "s".

Girl can't catch a break.  

Sometimes I wish I had made my maiden name my middle name when I got married. Now that would have been a cruel, cruel joke!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, I never noticed anything like that when I've talked to you!

--Diana