I like to play our opening song a few times before we actually start FHE so it will help him wind down and so he might pick up on a few words so he can sing along with us once we actually start. We sang "The Still, Small Voice", and it worked tonight! He sang along during the chorus!
Tonight we had a lesson on the Holy Ghost/ Still, Small Voice. In the beginning, I pointed to a picture I made of a little boy named Jamie (we read a story about him) and said, "the Holy Ghost speaks to our mind" (I pointed to Jamie's head), "and to our heart" (I pointed to Jamie's heart). A couple minutes later I asked Julian to fill in the blanks for me. I pointed to Jamie's heart and asked "the Holy Ghost speaks to our......____?" and Julian said "heart!" then I pointed to his head, said "and...____?" Julian said "hair."
Poor sweet Ella Grace is dealing with a bout of constipation and has
been crying when trying to go potty. She started to strain and cry
during FHE tonight, and Julian turned to her and went "shhh!" and I said
"it's ok, Julian. Her tummy hurts." Julian then got this super
sympathetic expression on his face, patted her tummy and said "it's
okay, baby. awww, baby. It's ok!" He's. so. sweet.
When we knelt to say our closing prayer, I asked Julian if he wanted to say it or if he wanted Mommy to do so (Daddy had said the opening prayer). He just jumped right in and started saying the whole thing "Dear Heavenly Father, thank thee for our family. Thank thee for our toys, for sdfkjhsd,mfnasdifysdf (this kid has a ginormous vocabulary, and tries to add to it by making up tons of new words on a daily basis), and red engines, and blue engines, and brown engines, and green engines..." (at this point, Stace and I look up at each other and smile & try not to laugh out loud) "....and for the Holy Ghost and for Jaime" (Stace and I looked up at each other impressed and passed a nonverbal message of "whoa! he got something out of it! !") "in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."
For our game, we played "pin the heart on Jamie" ha! One of Julian's favorite things to do is spin around, so he thoroughly enjoyed spinning a blindfolded mommy and daddy around. While he was spinning us, he'd ask "is that fun, Mama?!" "is that fun, Dada?!"
After Family Home Evening, Stace went to the freezer to get the FHE
treat: popsicles. Stace asked Julian, "would you like red or orange?"
Julian enthusiastically replied "red!" He savored every last bite of
that popsicle. Then ran to us with the wrapper and stick and said
"no...not red, orange! I want orange!"
Sadly, we weren't all together during bedtime routines tonight because Ella Grace was hurting so I took her out of Julian's room to comfort her, and so that J could hear his bedtime story. When Stace was done putting him down, he came out and said Julian requested he sing "the Peter song" (???) and Stace said "Julian, I don't know that song" and J immediately said "just go for it Dada!" ha! So Stace made up a song about a little boy named Peter going to sleep. We make up a lot of songs around here. When Stace left the room, Julian said "good night, Dada" and Stace said "I love you." and J said "I love you too, Dada." Stace said Julian said those phrases so funny...like he was a parent trying to reassure a child that everything would be alright, and to hurry along. If you can imagine that. haha!
