Monday, January 24, 2011

HELP! I am having doubts!

Ok, I need your help. I am so sorry if this is totally silly, but I am truly conflicted here. Lately I have been having doubts about taking the blog private. I at first felt I should in order to keep Julian safe, but since I have announced taking it private, I have begun to wonder if doing so is actually the right thing to do.

I feel like if I say I'm keeping it public now, it could seem as though I just wanted to know who reads my blog, ha! Which is totally untrue and silly! But I have received emails from certain folks who I didn't know read my blog, and they have told me they enjoy reading it (which I appreciate so much), and I can't help but wonder if there are other people out there who want to read it still but would rather not say they read it...I myself like to browse other people's blogs from time to time and enjoy doing so, and I understand if people I know, or friends of people I know, want to remain anonymous:) Plus, I found out that there is a cap where if you make your blog private, you can only invite 100 people. I had no idea of that!

I had a thought to maybe do a blog entirely all about Julian. That one would be updated all the time on new tricks, videos, and pictures, and I would make it into his year albums after each year is over. I would make this blog private. Then, I could keep the Kim and Stace Place public, but just keep the security settings on it as strict as bloggily possible (Ie: one couldn't find it say, by searching on Google). However, I know this option would be difficult because how am I supposed to write about my life without including Julian in it? It would be, to quote Liam Neeson, "like telling water not to be wet."

What do you think? Please vote on the poll at the top on the right! (Or leave a comment if you want to expand on your thoughts!) I really appreciate your opinions.

6 comments:

The Boohers said...

I vote not private, but that's just because I'm trying not to be prejudiced against child predators.:) JK! No, I've thought about it for us too, and I just decided that I couldn't figure out what someone could do with the information on my blog. Maybe I just don't see our family as super stalkable. I'm thinking if we just keep moving they won't be able to track us in real life. And I like reading other blogs, so I would be sad (and have been in the past) if someone went private but I felt like I didn't know them well enough to ask them to be on their list.

Rachel said...

Kim, I would definitely go private. I feel so much better that our blog is private, and we don't even have kids! It just nice especially now that Del is a "working professional" not to have to worry about it. I've had mine private for 3+ years I think, and I still keep track of who is reading it even though its private. I use google analytics for that. Every once in a while I will make it public for a few days to see what my traffic is like vs. when its private, and it ALWAYS goes up a ton. I'm pretty liberal with who I've invited, even people I don't know like friends of friends who just like reading it...so who are these people that all the sudden are reading my blog as soon as it goes public??

As for the 100 people limit, there is an easy fix to that. You can create a second blog, like "kimandstaceplace2.blogspot.com" or whatever you choose, which is also private. You can import all the posts from your current blog, so it has all the same content. Then whenever you make a new post, once you are done uploading all your pics and everything, you click "edit hmtl," copy the code, go to the second blog, click edit html, paste, and then you have the exact same post on both blogs. It might take you an extra minute every time you post a blog, to copy it onto the second blog, but then you can still have the blog(s) private.

It's worked out well for me :) Email me if you have any questions about the google analytics or the second blog.

Tice said...

The problem with private blogs is that I forget to read them because they don't come up with google reader. However, I would try to make an extra effort to read yours should it go private. :) Good luck on the decision.

Eloquent Obi said...

I must say Kim, thank you for letting us followers of your blog have a chance to participate in the democratic process of voting! You Rock! --190

Da Costa said...

Hey woman! So, I vote for not private. I never post up really important info (like our number or address) so I feel safe. And to be honest, I love it when people find me! I just had an old roommate from my first year at BYU find me and make contact through my blog! I was so excited. Oh, and past people that Walmir worked with on his mission find us too and make contact. So, I guess I like that. :) Anyway, whatever you decide, girl. But if you do go private, send me an invite!

Judy S said...

I first read your blog after I first met you a couple of years ago when I visited with Trent and Amelia. I have been touched and lifted by your words of wisdom and insights into life. I would miss it if it wasn't available any more.