I have never been one to get particularly excited about the new year or making resolutions. I can't say I've ever made a New Years resolution. But this year is different. Perhaps it's because I've never needed as much as I do now something to hope for within myself.
Please don't get me wrong: 2010 was one of the very best years of my life. Exhibit A:
But somewhere along the way, as new parts of myself were awakened, other parts of myself were blurred. I really need this new year. I really need the hope it brings. I want to move forward. I don't want to look back any longer. I don't want to hold onto my mistakes for another day, which force ugly thoughts on me: that I will never become the person I want to be.
So, let the list of hope begin:
-to remember each day who I truly am, a child of God
-to act on that knowledge and draw closer to Him each day by praying and studying the scriptures
-to be the kind of homemaker I want to be:
*to keep a clean and organized home
*(learn) to cook and have dinner planned out each week at the start of the week
-to hold Family Home Evening each week
-to be intentional each day about certain things I want to teach to Julian, and of course let other lessons come naturally
-to attend the temple as often as possible. We used to go once a month before Julian. I don't know if that's possible anymore, but I will say at least every other month.
-to fulfill my church callings in a way that I know Heavenly Father would approve of
-to be a better friend to my old friends and to my newer friends in Gainesville, and to keep in better touch with my family in Michigan.
-to take care of my body with exercise and proper nourishment
-to learn to play the piano with the keyboard the Sirmans let us borrow last weekend
-to learn to sew with my new sewing machine I got from my mom for Christmas!
-to be ON TIME everywhere I go
-to improve my singing abilities
-to be more frugal
That's it for the list for now. I'm ready to improve myself. I need to do what is commanded in Genesis 19:17-- to "Look thee not behind thee." (As was brought to my attention by this video.) I'm truly grateful that I know that is what my Savior would have me do. I am so grateful for his Atonement, for forgiveness. That I can pray and know that I have a Father in heaven Who hears me and Who loves me. I am so grateful to know that because of the Savior, we can be made new, and better today than we were yesterday. I am satisfied today in knowing that I was a better person today than I was yesterday, and that's because of him. So that's one day down, 365+ to go! I have much to tackle, and much to look forward to. So, let the new year begin...
I'm ready. Set, go.
No comments:
Post a Comment